Although common, male baldness can have negative psychological effects and some studies have even linked it to a handful of serious illnesses. New research identifies the genetic variants involved in the condition, which could eventually enable researchers to predict a person’s chances of hair loss.
Male baldness – also referred to as androgenetic alopecia or male pattern baldness (MPB) – affects a significant number of people in the United States, as the condition accounts for over 95 percent of all hair loss in men.
According to the American Hair Loss Association, two thirds of U.S. adults will be affected by MPB to a certain degree by the age of 35, and around 85 percent of men will have experienced significant hair loss by the age of 50.
A lot of these men are seriously affected by the condition, which can have a negative effect on a person’s self-image, as well as on their interpersonal relationships.
Additionally, some genetic studies have even associated MPB with negative clinical outcomes such as prostate cancer and cardiovascular disease.
A new study – led by Saskia Hagenaars and David Hill of the University of Edinburgh in the United Kingdom – explores the genetic basis for the condition. The findings were published in the journal PLOS Genetics.
Scientists analyzed the genomic and health data of more than 52,000 men enrolled in the UK Biobank – an international health resource offering health information on more than 500,000 individuals.
The team located more than 250 independent genetic regions linked to severe hair loss.
The researchers split the 52,000 participants into two groups: a so-called discovery sample of 40,000 people and a target sample of 12,000 individuals. Based on the genetic variants that separated those with no hair loss from those with severe hair loss, the team designed an algorithm aimed to predict who would develop MPB.
The algorithmic baldness predictor is based on a genetic score, and although accurate predictions are still a long way off, the results of this study might soon enable researchers to identify subgroups of the population that are particularly prone to hair loss.
In the present study, researchers found that 14 percent of the participants with a submedian genetic score had severe MPB, and 39 percent had no hair loss. By contrast, 58 percent of those scoring in the top 10 percent on the polygenic score had moderate to severe MPB.
Co-lead author Saskia Hagenaars – a Ph.D. student at the University of Edinburgh’s Centre for Cognitive Aging and Cognitive Epidemiology – comments on the findings:
“We identified hundreds of new genetic signals,” Hagenaars says. “It was interesting to find that many of the genetics signals for male pattern baldness came from the X chromosome, which men inherit from their mothers.”
The study’s other lead author, Dr. David Hill, notes that the study did not collect data on the age of baldness onset, but only on hair loss pattern. However, he adds that, “we would expect to see an even stronger genetic signal if we were able to identify those with early-onset hair loss.”
To the authors’ knowledge, this is the largest genetic study of MPB to date.
The study’s principal investigator, Dr. Riccardo Marioni, from the University of Edinburgh’s Centre for Genomic and Experimental Medicine, explains the significance of the findings:
“We are still a long way from making an accurate prediction for an individual’s hair loss pattern. However, these results take us one step closer. The findings pave the way for an improved understanding of the genetic causes of hair loss.”
Learn how a drug promises robust new hair growth.
See the article here:
Genetic basis for male baldness identified in large-scale study – Medical News Today
- Personalized medicine may do more to treat rather than prevent chronic diseases - Medical Xpress - February 17th, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage - New Jersey Herald - February 17th, 2017
- Genetic predictors could improve PSA accuracy - ModernMedicine - February 17th, 2017
- Boehringer Ingelheim And Weill Cornell Medicine Announce New ... - Clinical Leader - February 17th, 2017
- Toxicology Conferences 2017 | Pharmacology Conferences ... - January 23rd, 2017
- Genetic code - Wikipedia - December 25th, 2016
- Center for Genetic Medicine Research - Choose Children's - December 6th, 2016
- Master of Science in Genetic Counseling | Icahn School of ... - November 30th, 2016
- Genetic Medicine - November 12th, 2016
- Medical genetics - Wikipedia - October 27th, 2016
- BRCA1 and BRCA2: Cancer Risk and Genetic Testing Fact ... - October 4th, 2016
- What is Genomic Medicine? - Genome.gov - September 8th, 2016
- preimplantation genetic diagnosis - Penn Medicine - July 8th, 2016
- Genomic Medicine - Genome.gov - July 8th, 2016
- Department of Genetic Medicine (Research) | Medicine ... - July 8th, 2016
- USC Institute for Genetic Medicine - July 8th, 2016
- Department of Genetic Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College - July 8th, 2016
- National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) - Homepage - July 8th, 2016
- Genetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - July 8th, 2016
- 23andMe - DNA Genetic Testing & Analysis - July 8th, 2016
- Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling : Center for ... - October 5th, 2015
- Genetic Counseling Program - University of South Carolina ... - September 25th, 2015
- Genetic Medicine : Division Home | Department of Medicine - September 17th, 2015
- Genome Medicine - September 6th, 2015
- NIH Clinical Center: Graduate Medical Education (GME ... - August 22nd, 2015
- Genetics & Medicine - National Center for Biotechnology ... - August 14th, 2015
- Medical genetics of Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 14th, 2015
- Genetic testing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 4th, 2015
- Medical genetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 1st, 2015
- Genetic Medicine - The University of Chicago Department of ... - August 1st, 2015
- Genetic Disease: Get the Definition of These Disorders - July 31st, 2015
- Home | HMS Department of Genetics - July 15th, 2015
- Medical Genetics at University of Washington - July 6th, 2015
- Genetics in Medicine - July 2nd, 2015
- Genetic Medicine | Department of Pediatrics | University ... - July 2nd, 2015
- Genetics and Genetic Testing - KidsHealth - May 28th, 2015
- Genetic engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 20th, 2015
- Genetic Testing Clinical Reference For Clinicians ... - May 20th, 2015
- Kids Health - Down Syndrome - May 20th, 2015
- PACK360@USC Institute for Genetic Medicine Art Gallery - Video - March 28th, 2015
- Precision Medicine: How our Genes Can Help Determine Our Risk and Treatment for Disease - Video - February 21st, 2015
- 2014 NCAS Philip J. Klass Award Presentation to Steven Salzberg - Video - December 12th, 2014
- The Future of Genetic Medicine - Maureen Turner - Video - December 11th, 2014
- The Microbiome: A New Frontier in Human Health - Video - December 4th, 2014
- Translating genetic advances into day to day clinical practice - Video - August 5th, 2014
- USC Institute of Genetic Medicine Exhibition "Molecular and Social Systems" - Video - August 1st, 2014
- Developments in Genetics and Genomics in Neurology: Wendy Chung, MD, PhD - Video - July 31st, 2014
- CSULB COE Lecture - Reproducing Body Functions - Video - July 12th, 2014
- Carlos Castro published in PLOS - Video - July 11th, 2014
- GoldLab Symposium 2014 - Lucy Shapiro - Video - May 31st, 2014
- Lego Star Wars Genetic Medicine - Video - April 28th, 2014
- Is there a genetic component of this disease? - Video - April 3rd, 2014
- Inheritance: How "Rare" Diseases Unlock Cures for Everyone - Video - March 3rd, 2014
- Dr Shane McKee - Video - February 25th, 2014
- How Alternative Medicine Has Infiltrated U.S. Medical Schools - Steve Salzberg - Video - February 14th, 2014
- FluidX Capper/Decapper - Video - February 7th, 2014
- JANUS MDT - Video - February 7th, 2014
- JANUS Varispan - Video - February 6th, 2014
- The importance of genetic counseling - Video - January 20th, 2014
- Discussion Podcast - Video - January 10th, 2014
- USC TREET Seminar Series: Eric Hoffman - Molecular and Clinical Outcome Measures in Rehab Medicine - Video - January 10th, 2014
- Most popular Genetic Medicine Austin TX - Video - December 21st, 2013
- Gene Discovery in the Epileptic Encephalopathies - Video - November 27th, 2013
- Bridge To The Soul - Video - November 11th, 2013
- The Human Variome Project and the future of Genetic Medicine - Professor Sir John Burn - Video - August 18th, 2013
- Eric Lander on Recent, and Surprising, Advances in Genetic Medicine - Video - July 3rd, 2013
- Coriell Spinoff Allows Biobanking of Patient Genomes! - February 19th, 2013
- 2013 what predictions? Eh Sherpa - December 31st, 2012
- 01: Genetic Medicine (MRes): Emma and Sid: benefits before PhD - Video - October 31st, 2012
- 04: Genetic Medicine (MRes): Bill Newman: research project - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Hope for Duchenne sufferers - Video - October 31st, 2012
- The Health Quarter - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Dr. David Valle Speaks About Evolutionary Medicine - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Advancing Health Care: Personalized Genetic Medicine - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Implementing of Genetic Medicine Programs: Laboratories - Debra Leonard - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Deadly Medicine Panel Discussion: Meanings and Implications of Nazism and Eugenics - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Cancer Trends Plenary Session (part II) -- Bio-IT World Expo 2012 - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Targeting genetic medicine - Video - October 31st, 2012
- LA Society for the Arts in Healthcare Event - Video - October 31st, 2012
- USC Institute for Genetic Medicine Art Show - Video - October 31st, 2012
Recommendation and review posted by Guinevere Smith