Boehringer Ingelheim recentlyannounced a collaboration with Weill Cornell Medicine to identify new treatment approaches forchronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)in order to develop novel treatments that could possibly halt or even reverse the progression of the disease process. The new, three-year collaboration combines Weill Cornell Medicines Department of Genetic Medicines unique understanding of chronic airway diseases and experience in the investigation of novel therapeutic concepts for airway repair with Boehringer Ingelheims expertise in the discovery and development of new therapies for respiratory diseases. This collaboration is the second collaboration between Boehringer Ingelheim and Weill Cornell Medicine, following prior work in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Chronic lower respiratory diseases, which include COPD, are the third leading cause of death in the United States,and approximately 15million Americans have been told by a healthcare provider that they have COPD.It cannot be cured and current treatment approaches focus on bronchodilation, reducing symptoms and preventing exacerbations to decelerate the downward spiral of the disease.The goal is to help patients keep as active as possible and overall, improve their quality of life.
Our continuous search for molecular drivers of chronic obstructive airway diseases has revealed novel repair mechanisms that warrant further investigation of their potential as therapeutic approaches, said Dr. Ronald G. Crystal, Chairman of Genetic Medicine at Weill Cornell Medicine and lead investigator in the new collaboration. We will look to further expand our knowledge about progressive airway destruction in close collaboration with Boehringer Ingelheim and focus on promising therapeutic concepts with the potential to slow down or halt progressive airway damage in patients with COPD.
We are delighted to work with Dr. Crystal at Weill Cornell Medicine, who is one of the leading scientists in severe progressive airway diseases worldwide, said Dr. Clive R. Wood, Senior Corporate Vice President, Discovery Research at Boehringer Ingelheim. The scientists at Weill Cornell Medicine and Boehringer Ingelheim will work hand in hand to translate new discoveries into drug discovery and development programs at Boehringer Ingelheim. The new collaboration is an excellent example of our unique partnering approach and our focus on early innovation, underscoring our ambition to develop the next generation of medical treatments for patients with COPD.
Boehringer Ingelheim is combining a focus on cutting-edge science with a long-term view enabling the company to create a stable environment for the development of the next generation of medical breakthroughs. This new project adds another building block in this long-term strategy to improve the lives of patients with high unmet medical needs.
Weill Cornell’s Office of BioPharma Alliances and Research Collaborations negotiated the three-year collaboration.The offices mission is to proactively generate, structure and market translational research alliances with industry in order to advance promising research projects that have commercial potential. For more information, contact Larry Schlossman email@example.com at 212-746-6909.
About Boehringer Ingelheim in Respiratory
Boehringer Ingelheim has over 90 years of heritage in respiratory disease. Since 1921 the company has emerged as a leader in this disease area and has launched several treatments in a range of respiratory conditions including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and lung cancer. Boehringer Ingelheims focus is on improving the quality of life of patients suffering from debilitating respiratory diseases and enabling them to maintain a more independent life.
About Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., based in Ridgefield, CT, is the largest U.S. subsidiary of Boehringer Ingelheim Corporation.
Boehringer Ingelheim is one of the worlds 20 leading pharmaceutical companies.Headquartered in Ingelheim, Germany, the company operates globally with 145affiliates and more than 47,000 employees.Since its founding in 1885, the family-owned company has been committed to researching, developing, manufacturing and marketing novel treatments for human and veterinary medicine.
Boehringer Ingelheim is committed to improving lives and providing valuable services and support to patients and their families. Our employees create and engage in programs that strengthen our communities. To learn more about how we make more health for more people, visit ourCorporate Social Responsibility Report.
In 2015, Boehringer Ingelheim achieved net sales of about $15.8B (14.8billioneuros). R&D expenditure corresponds to 20.3 percent of its net sales.
SOURCE: Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Go here to read the rest:
Boehringer Ingelheim And Weill Cornell Medicine Announce New … – Clinical Leader
- Personalized medicine may do more to treat rather than prevent chronic diseases - Medical Xpress - February 17th, 2017
- Genetic basis for male baldness identified in large-scale study - Medical News Today - February 17th, 2017
- AP, HHMI collaborate on expanded science, health coverage - New Jersey Herald - February 17th, 2017
- Genetic predictors could improve PSA accuracy - ModernMedicine - February 17th, 2017
- Toxicology Conferences 2017 | Pharmacology Conferences ... - January 23rd, 2017
- Genetic code - Wikipedia - December 25th, 2016
- Center for Genetic Medicine Research - Choose Children's - December 6th, 2016
- Master of Science in Genetic Counseling | Icahn School of ... - November 30th, 2016
- Genetic Medicine - November 12th, 2016
- Medical genetics - Wikipedia - October 27th, 2016
- BRCA1 and BRCA2: Cancer Risk and Genetic Testing Fact ... - October 4th, 2016
- What is Genomic Medicine? - Genome.gov - September 8th, 2016
- preimplantation genetic diagnosis - Penn Medicine - July 8th, 2016
- Genomic Medicine - Genome.gov - July 8th, 2016
- Department of Genetic Medicine (Research) | Medicine ... - July 8th, 2016
- USC Institute for Genetic Medicine - July 8th, 2016
- Department of Genetic Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College - July 8th, 2016
- National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI) - Homepage - July 8th, 2016
- Genetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - July 8th, 2016
- 23andMe - DNA Genetic Testing & Analysis - July 8th, 2016
- Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling : Center for ... - October 5th, 2015
- Genetic Counseling Program - University of South Carolina ... - September 25th, 2015
- Genetic Medicine : Division Home | Department of Medicine - September 17th, 2015
- Genome Medicine - September 6th, 2015
- NIH Clinical Center: Graduate Medical Education (GME ... - August 22nd, 2015
- Genetics & Medicine - National Center for Biotechnology ... - August 14th, 2015
- Medical genetics of Jews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 14th, 2015
- Genetic testing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 4th, 2015
- Medical genetics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 1st, 2015
- Genetic Medicine - The University of Chicago Department of ... - August 1st, 2015
- Genetic Disease: Get the Definition of These Disorders - July 31st, 2015
- Home | HMS Department of Genetics - July 15th, 2015
- Medical Genetics at University of Washington - July 6th, 2015
- Genetics in Medicine - July 2nd, 2015
- Genetic Medicine | Department of Pediatrics | University ... - July 2nd, 2015
- Genetics and Genetic Testing - KidsHealth - May 28th, 2015
- Genetic engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 20th, 2015
- Genetic Testing Clinical Reference For Clinicians ... - May 20th, 2015
- Kids Health - Down Syndrome - May 20th, 2015
- PACK360@USC Institute for Genetic Medicine Art Gallery - Video - March 28th, 2015
- Precision Medicine: How our Genes Can Help Determine Our Risk and Treatment for Disease - Video - February 21st, 2015
- 2014 NCAS Philip J. Klass Award Presentation to Steven Salzberg - Video - December 12th, 2014
- The Future of Genetic Medicine - Maureen Turner - Video - December 11th, 2014
- The Microbiome: A New Frontier in Human Health - Video - December 4th, 2014
- Translating genetic advances into day to day clinical practice - Video - August 5th, 2014
- USC Institute of Genetic Medicine Exhibition "Molecular and Social Systems" - Video - August 1st, 2014
- Developments in Genetics and Genomics in Neurology: Wendy Chung, MD, PhD - Video - July 31st, 2014
- CSULB COE Lecture - Reproducing Body Functions - Video - July 12th, 2014
- Carlos Castro published in PLOS - Video - July 11th, 2014
- GoldLab Symposium 2014 - Lucy Shapiro - Video - May 31st, 2014
- Lego Star Wars Genetic Medicine - Video - April 28th, 2014
- Is there a genetic component of this disease? - Video - April 3rd, 2014
- Inheritance: How "Rare" Diseases Unlock Cures for Everyone - Video - March 3rd, 2014
- Dr Shane McKee - Video - February 25th, 2014
- How Alternative Medicine Has Infiltrated U.S. Medical Schools - Steve Salzberg - Video - February 14th, 2014
- FluidX Capper/Decapper - Video - February 7th, 2014
- JANUS MDT - Video - February 7th, 2014
- JANUS Varispan - Video - February 6th, 2014
- The importance of genetic counseling - Video - January 20th, 2014
- Discussion Podcast - Video - January 10th, 2014
- USC TREET Seminar Series: Eric Hoffman - Molecular and Clinical Outcome Measures in Rehab Medicine - Video - January 10th, 2014
- Most popular Genetic Medicine Austin TX - Video - December 21st, 2013
- Gene Discovery in the Epileptic Encephalopathies - Video - November 27th, 2013
- Bridge To The Soul - Video - November 11th, 2013
- The Human Variome Project and the future of Genetic Medicine - Professor Sir John Burn - Video - August 18th, 2013
- Eric Lander on Recent, and Surprising, Advances in Genetic Medicine - Video - July 3rd, 2013
- Coriell Spinoff Allows Biobanking of Patient Genomes! - February 19th, 2013
- 2013 what predictions? Eh Sherpa - December 31st, 2012
- 01: Genetic Medicine (MRes): Emma and Sid: benefits before PhD - Video - October 31st, 2012
- 04: Genetic Medicine (MRes): Bill Newman: research project - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Hope for Duchenne sufferers - Video - October 31st, 2012
- The Health Quarter - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Dr. David Valle Speaks About Evolutionary Medicine - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Advancing Health Care: Personalized Genetic Medicine - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Implementing of Genetic Medicine Programs: Laboratories - Debra Leonard - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Deadly Medicine Panel Discussion: Meanings and Implications of Nazism and Eugenics - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Cancer Trends Plenary Session (part II) -- Bio-IT World Expo 2012 - Video - October 31st, 2012
- Targeting genetic medicine - Video - October 31st, 2012
- LA Society for the Arts in Healthcare Event - Video - October 31st, 2012
- USC Institute for Genetic Medicine Art Show - Video - October 31st, 2012
Recommendation and review posted by Guinevere Smith