LAWRENCE A question that has eluded scientists for 200 years will be the object for study for a University of Kansas chemistry professor who received a prestigious award from the National Science Foundation.
Marco Caricato, assistant professor in the Department of Chemistry, was awarded a Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award from the National Science Foundation for his research proposal First Principles Evaluation of Optical Activity in Solids. The award is the highest honor given by the NSF to young researchers.
Caricato will focus on chiral solids and their interaction with light, an effect known as optical activity. Chiral molecules and solids are objects that are nonsuperimposable mirror images of each other, such as right and left hands. Chiral molecules and supramolecular systems also play an important role in biology, as proteins and DNA are made out of chiral molecules (amino acids and sugars), and life has evolved around only one of the two possible mirror images (called enantiomers) for these molecules. Therefore, it is extremely important to be able to distinguish which enantiomerthat researchers have in their samples (for drugs, only one enantiomer will be effective, while the other may even be dangerous).
One way to distinguish these mirror images is through their interaction with chiral light. Scientists have studied optical activity in chiral molecules and crystals for 200 years, and they are able to use this interaction effectively for sample analysis. Nevertheless, scientists have yet to understand the correlation between molecular structure and the electronic response to light. In other words, it is not possible to predict the magnitude and sign of the response by simply looking at the microscopic structure of the material.
It is exciting to study a phenomenon that is still not quite well understood after so much time from its discovery. We are going to use sophisticated computer simulations to try to gain a chemically intuitive understanding of such structure-property relationship of matter, Caricato said.
This project could have implications for materials science, as well. Chiral materials are becoming increasingly popular for applications in catalysis, molecular recognition and electronics. Caricato will use theoretical simulations to develop first principles quantum mechanical methods for the calculation of optical rotation.
Caricato will receive $625,000 over the next five years to support his research as well as an outreach program to bring computational chemistry into high school classrooms in Kansas.
With this award, the Department of Chemistry now counts 14 CAREER Award recipients in its current faculty, reflecting a notably high success rate in applications for this award.
Professor Caricato’s state-of the art research in using quantum chemistry to explain and predict the properties of materials complements very well KU’s already strong efforts in computational chemistry, said Brian Laird, chair of the Department of Chemistry. This well-deserved award is a testament to the high level of research productivity that he brings to the department and to KU.
Caricato joined the university in 2014. He served as a postdoctoral fellow at Yale and a research scientist at Gaussian Inc. following the completion of his doctorate at Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa, Italy, in 2006.
The NSF has existed since 1950 to promote discovery in the sciences and to fund those on the frontier of scientific innovation. The NSF CAREER Award supports junior faculty who engage in outstanding research, education and integration of education and research in their academic roles.
The Department of Chemistry is in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, which is KUs largest, most diverse academic unit.
Chemistry professor receives NSF CAREER Award – KU Today
- MAFS' Anthony D'Amico on His 'Great Chemistry' with Ashley Petta: 'She's an Absolute Knockout' - PEOPLE.com - April 28th, 2017
- Arizona State coach talks team chemistry for regionals - Golf Channel - April 28th, 2017
- Chemistry professor says goodbye after 43 years at UNM - UNM Newsroom - April 28th, 2017
- Despite chemistry of stars, Korean comedy 'The King's Case Note' is easily dismissed - Los Angeles Times - April 28th, 2017
- Humans alter Earth's chemistry from beyond grave - Daily Sabah - April 28th, 2017
- Syrian refugee in Romania: ISIS banned chemistry and biology - EURACTIV - April 28th, 2017
- Our Decomposing Bodies Are Altering Earth's Chemistry - Seeker - Seeker - April 27th, 2017
- How Chemistry Implicated Syrian President Bashar al-Assad ... - American Council on Science and Health - April 27th, 2017
- Roommates Bud Cauley and Justin Thomas hope their chemistry ... - GolfDigest.com - April 27th, 2017
- Syrris Asia flow chemistry, designed for you - Technology Networks - April 27th, 2017
- LANL: Jaqueline L. Kiplinger To Receive Award For Pioneering Contributions To Chemistry - Los Alamos Daily Post - April 27th, 2017
- Eugenio Derbez talks chemistry with Salma Hayek in 'How to be a ... - Newsday - April 27th, 2017
- This interactive periodic table makes chemistry easier than ever - TNW - April 27th, 2017
- Trump boasts of 'great chemistry' with Germany, China and Egypt - New York Daily News - April 24th, 2017
- Silverman: Matt Barnes' pitch leads to dangerous chemistry - Boston Herald - April 24th, 2017
- Trump's great chemistry with Chinese president Xi Jinping is actually not that great - Quartz - April 24th, 2017
- Court: UT Austin Can't Revoke Chemistry Ph.D. - Inside Higher Ed - April 24th, 2017
- WCSU chemistry students present research at national conference - HamletHub - April 24th, 2017
- Red Sox Notes: Injuries Preventing Boston From Building Chemistry, Momentum - NESN.com - April 23rd, 2017
- The Nuggets' team chemistry will be an interesting thing to watch. - Nugg Love - April 23rd, 2017
- Chemistry Hiring Delays Favor Temps - The Oberlin Review - April 23rd, 2017
- Review: 'Their Finest' sizzles with chemistry - The Detroit News - April 22nd, 2017
- Protecting Coral Reefs With Some Clever Chemistry - American Council on Science and Health - April 22nd, 2017
- Chemistry Professor Sniffs Out Excellence - NC State News - April 22nd, 2017
- Great chemistry keying Lowell - Lowell Sun Online - Lowell Sun - April 22nd, 2017
- Green Chemistry Conferences | Chemistry Conferences ... - April 21st, 2017
- Plot twist in methane mystery blames chemistry, not emissions, for ... - Science News - April 21st, 2017
- 'Their Finest' review: Wartime film sizzles with chemistry - The Seattle Times - April 21st, 2017
- JPL Team Works Portable Chemistry Lab Detecting Life in the Driest Place on Earth - Pasadena Now - April 21st, 2017
- Hopkins, Savage building chemistry - HoustonTexans.com - April 20th, 2017
- Bulls' Three Alphas reunited and reveling in newfound chemistry - Chicago Tribune - April 20th, 2017
- Chemistry and cooking collide in a new course at Carlow - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - April 20th, 2017
- India's university chemistry facilities in need of overhaul - Chemistry World (subscription) - April 20th, 2017
- Good chemistry of Shovels & Rope keeps getting better - Charleston Post Courier - April 20th, 2017
- Student to represent Grundy County at state chemistry competition - Morris Daily Herald - April 20th, 2017
- Mansfield outfielder says chemistry key to team's success - Fort Worth Star Telegram - April 20th, 2017
- New method can model chemistry in extreme magnetic fields of ... - Science Daily - April 20th, 2017
- With offseason program starting, Cowboys begin chemistry test - ESPN (blog) - April 18th, 2017
- Chemistry demonstration ends with a 'boom' | Northwest Herald - Northwest Herald - April 18th, 2017
- Horizon baseball uses solid team chemistry to formulate success - Scottsdale Independent - April 18th, 2017
- Blue Jays' Jarrod Saltalamacchia: Developing chemistry with Marco Estrada - CBSSports.com - April 16th, 2017
- Smokies hoping to continue Single-A chemistry | Sports ... - Maryville Daily Times - April 16th, 2017
- Chemistry onstage makes Faith Hill and Tim McGraw a top tour - Toledo Blade - April 16th, 2017
- New Rider chemistry fellowship honors 3 former faculty members - News at Rider - April 15th, 2017
- Stirring the Chemistry With a Kiss - New York Times - April 15th, 2017
- Chocolate cake and chemistry repair US-China ties. But will North Korea spoil the party? - Washington Post - April 14th, 2017
- Deaf student trail-blazing her way to a chemistry degree - Colorado State University News (press release) - April 14th, 2017
- Chemistry, and its impact on next year's Syracuse basketball team ... - Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician - April 14th, 2017
- PHS chemistry teacher emerges as Yavapai County Outstanding First-Year Teacher award finalist - The Daily Courier - April 14th, 2017
- Magazine Integrating Biology and Chemistry for De... - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - April 14th, 2017
- PREVIEW: Department of Chemistry to host Arudengo Chemistry lecture - The University of Alabama Crimson White - April 14th, 2017
- UOG will hold Chemistry Forum - Pacific Daily News - April 14th, 2017
- Oconomowoc's Nature Hill Intermediate School students win state chemistry competition - Lake Country Now - April 13th, 2017
- Donald Trump Shares Chocolate Cake and 'Great Chemistry' With China's Xi - NBCNews.com - April 13th, 2017
- Students to compete in national Chemistry Olympiad - Arkansas Online - April 13th, 2017
- Supercomputing Gets Neural Network Boost in Quantum Chemistry - The Next Platform - April 13th, 2017
- NCAA tournament gets the best refs, but what about chemistry? - WRALSportsFan.com - April 13th, 2017
- Joe Scarborough admits 'crackling off-air chemistry' with MSNBC co-host Mika Brzezinski - Washington Times - April 13th, 2017
- 'Great chemistry': Trump abandons China criticism as Russia ties suffer - The Guardian - April 13th, 2017
- Draft girls using chemistry to cruise past opponents | High School ... - The Daily Progress - April 12th, 2017
- Softball Notebook: Kays off to hot start behind team chemistry - Kankakee Daily Journal - April 12th, 2017
- Holgorsen says team chemistry a work in progress | WVU SPORTS ... - The Exponent Telegram (press release) (registration) - April 12th, 2017
- Warriors focus on chemistry as Stephen Curry joins Kevin Durant - ESPN (blog) - April 11th, 2017
- Chemistry papers challenged a paradigm - until the authors spotted ... - Retraction Watch (blog) - April 11th, 2017
- Saunders studies chemistry to beat mom's MS - McPherson Sentinel - April 11th, 2017
- Practical chemistry under challenging conditions - Royal Society of Chemistry - April 11th, 2017
- Chemistry set: Maypearl's wild science has the Panthers on the top of 17-3A class after Friday district rout - Waxahachie Daily Light - April 11th, 2017
- Investors want more than cash - it's all about chemistry - Telegraph.co.uk - April 11th, 2017
- Lacking a teacher, Atlantic City High School offers chemistry on ... - Press of Atlantic City - April 10th, 2017
- Chemical reaction database sparks discussion - Chemistry World (subscription) - April 10th, 2017
- New leadership for MSU Chemistry Department | Starkville Daily News - Starkville Daily News - April 10th, 2017
- Chemistry Educator Named One of 35 National Geographic-Lindblad Expeditions - India West - April 10th, 2017
- BYU quarterbacks, receivers need to develop chemistry, timing during offseason - Deseret News - April 9th, 2017
- Dennis Smith (Photo submitted) - Mississippi State Newsroom - April 8th, 2017
- Sarin and sentimentality: Trump and Assad's emotional chemistry - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - April 8th, 2017
- California Adds New Priority Consumer Product for Green Chemistry Regulation - JD Supra (press release) - April 8th, 2017
- Blackhawks' third line creating chemistry and points | CSN Chicago - Comcast SportsNet Chicago - April 8th, 2017
- Former UM president Royce Engstrom returning to teach chemistry ... - The Missoulian - April 7th, 2017
- No longer in limbo: Journal lifts 2015 expression of concern from chemistry paper - Retraction Watch (blog) - April 7th, 2017
- Team chemistry key to Kilgore's soccer success - Longview News-Journal - April 7th, 2017
Recommendation and review posted by Fredricko