Mar 22, 2017; Chicago, IL, USA; Detroit Pistons guard Reggie Jackson (1) reacts during the second half against the Chicago Bulls at the United Center. Mandatory Credit: Mike DiNovo-USA TODAY Sports
Marcus Morris season in review and grade by Duncan Smith
Mr. Big Shot could be headed to the Atlanta Hawks by Luke Wolthuis
The Detroit Pistons had a pattern for most of the season. They would start slow, take poor shots, be a step slow defensively, be down 6-10 points halfway through the first quarter. Sometimes the bench would rally and the Pistons would win, sometimes they trailed by too much or the bench never got it together. Either way, the starters almost never got off to a good start, and the first quarter was usually when they were at their worst.
There were platitudes about energy, getting off to better starts. Expressions that certain players had to bring it, play harder with more consistency. But what if there was another way to describe the Pistons starts? A way to quantify what they were doing and why it was so consistently unsuccessful, and a way forward to avoid falling into the same pitfalls going into next season can only be of help.
The Pistons were 21st in first quarter offensive rating, scoring just 102.7 points per 100 possessions in opening stanzas. They also had the second-worst true shooting rate in the NBA in first quarters with a woeful 51.3 clip.
In this piece were going to look at a typical Detroit Pistons first quarter from this past season. Were going to look at the kind of shots and locations the Pistons took, and were going to look at the expected value (or EV) of each shot they took in this specific first quarter. This EV will be based on a simple calculation of (FG% * 2) for two-pointers and (FG% * 3) for three-pointers. Well use NBA.coms shooting by range stat page to determine the varying field goal percentages by range.
The quarter that were going to examine is the first quarter of a game between the Pistons and the Indiana Pacers at the Palace of Auburn Hills on December 17th. The Pistons lost this game 105-90 and were outscored 27-26 in the first quarter. This is an entirely reasonable first quarter output, and this loss was due more to a 15-point second quarter than any specific failure in the first quarter.
Lets dive in.
The first shot of the game is taken by Tobias Harris. Its a 19-foot jump shot late in the shot clock. Remember, this is the first possession of the game, and it results in a late clock long two. This might be the most Piston way to start a game all season.
Harris has an expected value of 0.96 points per attempt from 15-19 feet.
He also takes the next shot, a spot up miss from 26 feet out on a drive and kick from Reggie Jackson. His expectation from there is slightly higher at 1.014 points per attempt.
Jackson scores the first points of the game for the Pistons on a spot up three, assisted by Tobias Harris. Remember, Jackson was among the best three-point shooters on the team, and he has an outstanding expectation from the corner, hitting 43.8 percent of those shots. His expectation on that success rate is 1.314 points per shot.
Andre Drummond takes and makes the next two shots, a seven-foot hook shot and a nine-foot hook. Its been well-documented on this site and elsewhere how poor his hook shot is and how mediocre his offense is when he gets outside five feet. Both shots go, but his expectation on both shots is a mere 0.81 points per attempt.
Tobias Harris takes the next two shots, splitting them. He misses the first, a 12-footer with an expectation of .898 points per attempt, but he hits the second, a 26-foot three-pointer with an EV of 1.014 points per attempt.
At this point, the Pistons have a 10-7 lead and theyre 4-of-7 from the floor. The shots theyve taken have a combined EV of 6.82, meaning their average expectation per field goal attempt is 0.974 points.
The Pistons score their next points on a transition three from Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Jackson spots him across the arc and finds him for a wide open triple. Thanks to a late-season swoon, this shot has an EV of just .954 points per attempt, but at the time it was closer to 1.2 points per attempt.
KCP makes the next shot, also a three, and then misses a third three. Again, the EV for each shot is .954 points per attempt.
Tobias Harris follows that up with a missed three, with an expectation of 1.095 points.
Following that comes perhaps the wildest layup youll ever see from Reggie Jackson. While were going to assign this attempt a value of .968 (which itself is a dreadful rate at the rim), we can be honest and say this was basically a zero-chance attempt.
Drummond collects the rebound, misses a put back which has a 1.248 points per attempt EV, and a jump ball ensues which leads to a layup from Tobias Harris. That layup has a value of 1.308, significantly better than both Jackson and Drummonds rate at the rim.
The next attempts come from the free throw line via Reggie Jackson. He has a free throw percentage of 86.8 percent, thus eachattempt has a value of .868.
Andre Drummond takes the next three shots. He misses a six-foot hook worth .81 points, then Jackson hits him in transition for a layup at the basket, valued at 1.248. The third shot is a 20-foot jumper as the shot clock expires. Considering he hasnt hit such a shot, this attempt is assigned theentirely reasonable value of 0.
Reggie Jackson takes the next two shots, making a layup valued at .968 and missing a 16-foot jumps hot, valued at .81 points per attempt. Caldwell-Pope then misses a 27-foot jumper, valued at .954, and Ish Smith has checked in and misses a 26-foot three. Given his dreadful three-point shooting numbers from beyond 24 feet, his expected value here is .609 points per attempt.
KCP misses a layup valued at 1.074 points per attempt, Tobias Harris makes two free throws with a success rate of .841 (again, each free throw has this value), and Ish Smith misses a 12-foot shot with a value of 1.014 points per attempt.
In the end, the shots taken by the Detroit Pistons had an expected value of 25.206 points, and they scored this on 9-of-23 shooting. They were buoyed by better-than-average three-point shooting, hitting 4-of-9, and they were aided by four free throws, all of which they made.
Based on the pace of the first quarter (they played about 24 possessions, on pace for 95 in the game), their EV provides an expected offensive rating of 105.2. This rate would have tied them with the New York Knicks for 15th in the NBA in first quarter offensive rating, and it took them above-average three-point and free throw shooting to get there.
In summary, the Pistons had a positive-variance shooting stretch (or good luck, you could call it) in order to bring them to the middle of the league in first quarter scoring efficiency. Drummond also took three post shots (which is three too many) and made two, but he has among the leagues worst efficiency from the post.
Go here to see the original:
The anatomy of a typical Piston first quarter – PistonPowered
- Grey's Anatomy Season 14 Details - POPSUGAR - May 24th, 2017
- Cannes 2017 Review: THE BEGUILED, A Campy Anatomy of Lust - ScreenAnarchy (blog) - May 24th, 2017
- Brain anatomy differs in people with 22q genetic risk for schizophrenia, autism - Medical Xpress - May 24th, 2017
- New to Netflix in June: Grey's Anatomy, OITNB - EW.com - May 24th, 2017
- Augmented reality turns live volunteers into anatomy lessons - Futurity - Futurity: Research News - May 24th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy comes of age, Entertainment News & Top Stories ... - The Straits Times - May 24th, 2017
- Major finding in human anatomy has implications for many brain ... - The Denver Post - May 23rd, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Spinoff Spoilers: What Will New ABC Series Be About? - International Business Times - May 23rd, 2017
- Anatomy of a Goal: Ola Kamara's New England Golazo - Massive ... - Massive Report - May 23rd, 2017
- Sixers - Celtics, No. 1 and Markelle Fultz: Anatomy of an NBA Draft rumor - Billy Penn - May 22nd, 2017
- Cheap Eats: The Anatomy of a Happy Hour - Richmond magazine (blog) - May 22nd, 2017
- The Anatomy of Finickiness: On Alexander Theroux's Einstein's Beets: An Examination of Food Phobias - lareviewofbooks - May 22nd, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Fans 'Rebuke' That Jackson, Maggie, April Twist ... - Moviefone - May 21st, 2017
- Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - IMDb - May 21st, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star bids farewell to show with emotional note - CNN - May 21st, 2017
- Syrian Prison Executions Anatomy of a Smear Campaign - Antiwar.com - May 21st, 2017
- Carlos Gonzalez: Anatomy of a slump and why Rockies' slugger thinks he'll bust out of it - The Denver Post - May 21st, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Find out which doctor just left the show - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Firefighter Spin-Off: 6 Title Suggestions - Today's ... - TV Guide (blog) - May 20th, 2017
- The anatomy of ad copy relevance: The new Google standard - Search Engine Land - May 20th, 2017
- Anatomy of an Upfront: Behind the Scenes of NBCU's Road to Radio City - AdAge.com - May 20th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Season 13 Finale Says Goodbye to Another Cast Member (SPOILERS) - Variety - May 18th, 2017
- Anatomy of a failed political hit job on AG Adam Laxalt - Las Vegas Review-Journal - May 18th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy actress: playing a lesbian has changed my life - PinkNews - May 18th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Finale Sets Up Firehouse Spin-Off - TV.com - May 18th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' spinoff is everything that's wrong with TV - New York Post - May 18th, 2017
- The Anatomy of a Global B2B Campaign - AdAge.com - May 18th, 2017
- An Explosive Grey's Anatomy Finale! See How Meredith Reacts in the Moments After Blast - PEOPLE.com - May 18th, 2017
- Highlanders versus Dynamos: The anatomy of violence - NewsDay - May 18th, 2017
- Is the Hospital Going to Explode on Grey's Anatomy? - POPSUGAR - May 17th, 2017
- ABC fall 2017 lineup: 'Grey's Anatomy' spinoff, 'Good Doctor,' more - Newsday - May 17th, 2017
- StaTuesday: Anatomy of Twins' home run streak - FOXSports.com - May 16th, 2017
- The Anatomy of a BDS Campus Campaign - Algemeiner - May 16th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Song: 'Smoke on the Water' - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - May 16th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Poll: Will Dr. Stephanie Edwards Be Found Dead or ... - BuddyTV (blog) - May 16th, 2017
- Hanover High artist inspired by anatomy class - Wicked Local Hanover - May 16th, 2017
- Greys Anatomy Season 13 Episode 24 Spoilers Ring of Fire Massive Explosion Rocks Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital ... - EconoTimes - May 16th, 2017
- Today in TV History: 'Grey's Anatomy' Ended Its Second Season with a Dead Denny - Decider - May 16th, 2017
- Giacomo Gianniotti's wayward youth helped bring Canadian to Grey's Anatomy - Toronto Star - May 15th, 2017
- LaTanya Richardson Jackson ('Grey's Anatomy'): Cancer 'touches us on such a human level' [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO] - Goldderby - May 15th, 2017
- PHOTOS: Anatomy of a wave - WJLA - May 14th, 2017
- 'NCIS,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'SNL' end seasons - Orlando Sentinel - May 14th, 2017
- 'Anatomy of Innocence' describes incalculable injustices - Press Herald - May 14th, 2017
- The Anatomy of a Bogus North Korea Story - AlterNet - May 14th, 2017
- Style anatomy: Imara Hashwani - The Express Tribune - May 14th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Season 13, Episode 24 Promo Shows Meredith Searching for a Missing Girl - Closer Weekly - May 13th, 2017
- Who Is Brooke Stadler on 'Grey's Anatomy'? Get the Details on Jo Wilson's Elusive Past! - Closer Weekly - May 13th, 2017
- The Anatomy of a Bro-Witch - Patheos (blog) - May 13th, 2017
- Anonymous hero disrupts hack with 'kill switch' - Sky News - May 13th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Might Have Just Killed Off [Spoiler] - E! Online - May 12th, 2017
- Anatomy of Fake News - Washington Times - Washington Times - May 12th, 2017
- #TGIT recap: Discussing 'Grey's Anatomy' 1323, 'Scandal' 614, 'The Catch' 210 - Hypable - May 12th, 2017
- Anatomical Gifts Program will honor donors at service - The Dartmouth - May 12th, 2017
- From Grey's Anatomy to Giro's pink jersey - Sport24 - May 12th, 2017
- Anatomy of a deluge - The Globe and Mail - May 11th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Spinster: 6 Species of Cinematic Old Maids - Film School Rejects - May 11th, 2017
- This Grey's Anatomy Teaser Hints at [SPOILER]'s Exit - TV Guide (blog) - May 10th, 2017
- New book 'Anatomy of Innocence' allows wrongfully convicted to tell their stories - 89.3 KPCC - May 10th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Goal: Ola's Opener - Massive Report - May 10th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale Has 'Amazing Cliffhanger' Before 'Spectacular' Season 14 - Moviefone - May 10th, 2017
- Two companies work to demystify surgical procedures and anatomy ... - MobiHealthNews - May 10th, 2017
- IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo - SaharaReporters.com - May 10th, 2017
- Edmonton Oilers: The Anatomy of Mark Letestu - Oil On Whyte - May 10th, 2017
- State Anatomy Board overwhelmed with unclaimed bodies - WBAL Baltimore - May 9th, 2017
- The Anatomy Of Courage | HuffPost - Huffington post (press release) (blog) - May 9th, 2017
- Macron Leaks: the anatomy of a hack - BBC News - BBC News - May 9th, 2017
- The anatomy of cardamom - Huffington post (press release) (blog) - May 9th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Season 13 Episode 23 Promo: Stephanie Takes a Fatal Fall? - Wetpaint - May 9th, 2017
- Special Report Preview: Anatomy of a Rape - WILX-TV - May 8th, 2017
- The Anatomy Of Change Argentina's Macri Undoing Years Of Damage - Frontera News - May 8th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Budget Breakdown - The Exponent Telegram (press release) (registration) - May 8th, 2017
- Laura Caldwell and Antione Day on Anatomy of Innocence: Testimonies of the Wrongfully Convicted - WGN Radio - May 8th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Photo Preview: Mer, Riggs, and a Kid Makes Three - TV Fanatic - May 8th, 2017
- Anatomy of a tragedy: Police say boy with BB gun fatally shot by officers at high school - Los Angeles Times - May 7th, 2017
- "Chapter Twelve: Anatomy Of A Murder" - A.V. Club - May 7th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Stephanie Steps Up and Meredith Moves On - Cosmopolitan.com - May 6th, 2017
- Sexiest Female Doctors of 'Grey's Anatomy' (PHOTOS) - Wetpaint - May 6th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Star Will Head Cast of Bay Street's Intimate Apparel ... - Playbill.com - May 6th, 2017
- Riverdale Season 1, Episode 12 Recap: "Anatomy Of A Murder" - Refinery29 - May 6th, 2017
- #TGIT recap: Discussing 'Grey's Anatomy' 1322, 'Scandal' 613, 'The Catch' 209 - Hypable - May 6th, 2017
Recommendation and review posted by Guinevere Smith