I am pleased to announce an exhibition showcasing the collection of friend-of-Morbid Anatomy Richard Harris–one of the foremost collectors of all things death related–on view through July 8 at the Chicago Cultural Center. This looks to me amazing; full info follows, from the press release:
Chicago Cultural Center Brings Death To Life In Unprecedented New Exhibition
Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection
January 28 – July 8, 2012
Exhibit Explores the Iconography of Death, Showcases Nearly 1,000 Works From Richard Harris’ Collection – by Rembrandt, Mapplethorpe, Du?rer, Goya, Jasper Johns and Many Other Notable Artists
CHICAGO (November 2, 2011) – A deadly obsession takes hold of the Chicago Cultural Center this winter when one of its largest exhibitions to date, Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection, opens Saturday, January 28, 2012.
Presented by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events in partnership with the Chicago Office of Tourism and Culture, Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection showcases the wild and wonderfully eclectic selection of nearly 1,000 works of fine art, artifacts, massive installations and decorative objects, including creations by many of the greatest artists of our time, that explore the iconography of death across a variety of artistic, cultural and spiritual practices from 2000 B.C.E. to the present day.
Richard Harris, a resident of Riverwoods, Ill. who has been an art collector for 40 years, has gathered his provocative collection from all corners of the world to share with Chicago. Morbid Curiosity will fill two exhibition spaces, the 4th floor Exhibit Hall and Sidney R. Yates Gallery, at the Chicago Cultural Center, 78 E. Washington St., and will run through Sunday, July 8, 2012.
“We are all born to die. The questions that fascinate me are how we will die, where will we die and when will we die,” said Richard Harris. “At the age of 74, I believe it is incumbent upon me to make my collection a paean to death in all its many visages.”
The two major components of this exhibition are the “War Room,” highlighting the atrocities of war in notable works from the 17th century to present day in the 4th floor Exhibit Hall; and the “Kunstkammer of Death,” a modern-day “cabinet of curiosities” housed in the Sidney R. Yates Gallery, featuring a wide-ranging survey of mortality across cultures and spiritual traditions. The centerpiece of the “War Room” is Mr. Harris’ rare collection of five great war series, featuring prints by Jacques Callot, Francisco Goya, Otto Dix, the Chapman Brothers and Sandow Birk, which he has acquired over the past 30 years. This exhibition marks the first time that all five series will be exhibited together in their entirety.
“The scope, quality and diversity of Mr. Harris’ collection is unprecedented,” said Michelle T. Boone, Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events. “Morbid Curiosity will fill two gallery spaces on the 4th floor to cover a total of 14,000 sq. ft. during its six-month run, making it one of our largest and longest-running exhibitions to date.” “We look forward to hosting an exciting array of music, theater and art programming in conjunction with the exhibition, further engaging the public in a conversation about difficult themes that continue to fascinate humankind,” added Commissioner Boone.
Mr. Harris presents his rare collection of five great war series, arguably the most remarkable interpretations of war in art, evoking the ongoing cycle of human cruelty and destruction over centuries. Chronologically, the first of the series features Jacques Callot’s 17th century Miseries of War prints, followed by Francisco Goya’s extraordinary 18th century Disasters of War. The two masterpieces of the 20th century include Otto Dix’s Der Kreig and Jake and Dinos Chapman’s Disasters of War, both of which are heavily influenced by Goya. Completing the series is the 21st century The Depravities of War by Sandow Birk featuring massive woodblock prints depicting the Iraq war.
“Kunstkammer of Death”
The Italianate Sidney R. Yates Gallery will have its own distinct flavor within the exhibition as it is transformed into the style of a 17th century “Kunstkammer of Death.” (“Kunstkammer” is the precursor of the Public Museum as we know of them today. One of the greatest examples of a Kunstkammer was established by Peter the Great in Russia in 1727. Peter’s museum was a “cabinet of curiosities” dedicated to preserving natural and human curiosities and artistic rarities from across the globe as a means of acquiring a comprehensive knowledge of the world.) Featured in the “Kunstkammer of Death” will be works that explore death in all aspects from the spiritual to the scientific. Incredible works by such artists as Laurie Lipton, Chicago artist Marcos Raya and the Argentinean collective, Mondongo, bring to life the Mexican Holiday, Day of the Dead. Additionally, the gallery will be filled with a vast assortment of artistic styles and genres including the Dance of Death, a late-medieval allegory on the universality of death and Vanitas, a type of art that employs symbolic elements, such as hourglasses, rotting fruit and skulls, to signify the brevity of life.
Additional highlights of Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection include:
- Works by notable artists including Rembrandt, Albrecht Du?rer, Hans Bellmer, Odilon Redon, Pavel Tchelitchew, James Ensor, Jasper Johns and Robert Mapplethorpe.
- Breathtaking 13 ft. high chandelier made of 3,000 handcrafted plaster bones by contemporary British artist Jodie Carey. The piece directly engages the viewer with the irony or contradictions implicit in the decay/beauty aesthetic.
- Visually stunning large-scale installation, “Tribute,” from Guerra de la Paz entirely built from colorful used clothing that commemorates the Holocaust.
- Specimens, medical charts and ephemera.
- Work by contemporary artists such as Andres Serrano, Vik Muniz and Hugo Crosthwaite, including his commissioned 10 x 25 ft. site-specific mural, “Death March,”among others.
- Ethnographic artifacts and art from other cultures, particularly Tibet, Mexico, Africa and New Guinea.
“Ironically, the object that best personifies my own curiosity towards the subject of death can be seen in a 1927 photograph that is probably the least expensive object in the collection, costing me $5,” said Mr. Harris. “It is a photograph of a woman named Phebe Clijde surrounded by friends in the backyard of Phebe’s home in the suburbs of San Diego. In this neighborly scene, Phebe is holding a human skull. ‘What could she be thinking? Who’s skull is this? How did the person die?’ are some of the questions that ignite Phebe’s and my curiosity.”
Richard Harris has been collecting for more than 40 years. Previous shows that have exhibited his works are The Slought Foundation, Philadelphia, Pa., Strictly Death (Jan. 23 – Mar. 13, 2010); The Figge Art Museum, Davenport, Iowa, Dancing Towards Death (Sept, 18, 2010 – Jan. 9, 2011); and Loyola University Museum of Art (LUMA), Chicago, The Richard Harris Collection: Balint Zsako Collages (Feb. 3 – May 1, 2011).
Images: The Chicago Tribune
- Grey's Anatomy Season 14 Details - POPSUGAR - May 24th, 2017
- Cannes 2017 Review: THE BEGUILED, A Campy Anatomy of Lust - ScreenAnarchy (blog) - May 24th, 2017
- Brain anatomy differs in people with 22q genetic risk for schizophrenia, autism - Medical Xpress - May 24th, 2017
- New to Netflix in June: Grey's Anatomy, OITNB - EW.com - May 24th, 2017
- Augmented reality turns live volunteers into anatomy lessons - Futurity - Futurity: Research News - May 24th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy comes of age, Entertainment News & Top Stories ... - The Straits Times - May 24th, 2017
- Major finding in human anatomy has implications for many brain ... - The Denver Post - May 23rd, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Spinoff Spoilers: What Will New ABC Series Be About? - International Business Times - May 23rd, 2017
- Anatomy of a Goal: Ola Kamara's New England Golazo - Massive ... - Massive Report - May 23rd, 2017
- Sixers - Celtics, No. 1 and Markelle Fultz: Anatomy of an NBA Draft rumor - Billy Penn - May 22nd, 2017
- Cheap Eats: The Anatomy of a Happy Hour - Richmond magazine (blog) - May 22nd, 2017
- The Anatomy of Finickiness: On Alexander Theroux's Einstein's Beets: An Examination of Food Phobias - lareviewofbooks - May 22nd, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Fans 'Rebuke' That Jackson, Maggie, April Twist ... - Moviefone - May 21st, 2017
- Anatomy of a Murder (1959) - IMDb - May 21st, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' star bids farewell to show with emotional note - CNN - May 21st, 2017
- Syrian Prison Executions Anatomy of a Smear Campaign - Antiwar.com - May 21st, 2017
- Carlos Gonzalez: Anatomy of a slump and why Rockies' slugger thinks he'll bust out of it - The Denver Post - May 21st, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Find out which doctor just left the show - USA TODAY - May 20th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Firefighter Spin-Off: 6 Title Suggestions - Today's ... - TV Guide (blog) - May 20th, 2017
- The anatomy of ad copy relevance: The new Google standard - Search Engine Land - May 20th, 2017
- Anatomy of an Upfront: Behind the Scenes of NBCU's Road to Radio City - AdAge.com - May 20th, 2017
- The anatomy of a typical Piston first quarter - PistonPowered - May 18th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Season 13 Finale Says Goodbye to Another Cast Member (SPOILERS) - Variety - May 18th, 2017
- Anatomy of a failed political hit job on AG Adam Laxalt - Las Vegas Review-Journal - May 18th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy actress: playing a lesbian has changed my life - PinkNews - May 18th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Finale Sets Up Firehouse Spin-Off - TV.com - May 18th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' spinoff is everything that's wrong with TV - New York Post - May 18th, 2017
- The Anatomy of a Global B2B Campaign - AdAge.com - May 18th, 2017
- An Explosive Grey's Anatomy Finale! See How Meredith Reacts in the Moments After Blast - PEOPLE.com - May 18th, 2017
- Highlanders versus Dynamos: The anatomy of violence - NewsDay - May 18th, 2017
- Is the Hospital Going to Explode on Grey's Anatomy? - POPSUGAR - May 17th, 2017
- ABC fall 2017 lineup: 'Grey's Anatomy' spinoff, 'Good Doctor,' more - Newsday - May 17th, 2017
- StaTuesday: Anatomy of Twins' home run streak - FOXSports.com - May 16th, 2017
- The Anatomy of a BDS Campus Campaign - Algemeiner - May 16th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Song: 'Smoke on the Water' - Wall Street Journal (subscription) - May 16th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Poll: Will Dr. Stephanie Edwards Be Found Dead or ... - BuddyTV (blog) - May 16th, 2017
- Hanover High artist inspired by anatomy class - Wicked Local Hanover - May 16th, 2017
- Greys Anatomy Season 13 Episode 24 Spoilers Ring of Fire Massive Explosion Rocks Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital ... - EconoTimes - May 16th, 2017
- Today in TV History: 'Grey's Anatomy' Ended Its Second Season with a Dead Denny - Decider - May 16th, 2017
- Giacomo Gianniotti's wayward youth helped bring Canadian to Grey's Anatomy - Toronto Star - May 15th, 2017
- LaTanya Richardson Jackson ('Grey's Anatomy'): Cancer 'touches us on such a human level' [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO] - Goldderby - May 15th, 2017
- PHOTOS: Anatomy of a wave - WJLA - May 14th, 2017
- 'NCIS,' 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'SNL' end seasons - Orlando Sentinel - May 14th, 2017
- 'Anatomy of Innocence' describes incalculable injustices - Press Herald - May 14th, 2017
- The Anatomy of a Bogus North Korea Story - AlterNet - May 14th, 2017
- Style anatomy: Imara Hashwani - The Express Tribune - May 14th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Season 13, Episode 24 Promo Shows Meredith Searching for a Missing Girl - Closer Weekly - May 13th, 2017
- Who Is Brooke Stadler on 'Grey's Anatomy'? Get the Details on Jo Wilson's Elusive Past! - Closer Weekly - May 13th, 2017
- The Anatomy of a Bro-Witch - Patheos (blog) - May 13th, 2017
- Anonymous hero disrupts hack with 'kill switch' - Sky News - May 13th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Might Have Just Killed Off [Spoiler] - E! Online - May 12th, 2017
- Anatomy of Fake News - Washington Times - Washington Times - May 12th, 2017
- #TGIT recap: Discussing 'Grey's Anatomy' 1323, 'Scandal' 614, 'The Catch' 210 - Hypable - May 12th, 2017
- Anatomical Gifts Program will honor donors at service - The Dartmouth - May 12th, 2017
- From Grey's Anatomy to Giro's pink jersey - Sport24 - May 12th, 2017
- Anatomy of a deluge - The Globe and Mail - May 11th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Spinster: 6 Species of Cinematic Old Maids - Film School Rejects - May 11th, 2017
- This Grey's Anatomy Teaser Hints at [SPOILER]'s Exit - TV Guide (blog) - May 10th, 2017
- New book 'Anatomy of Innocence' allows wrongfully convicted to tell their stories - 89.3 KPCC - May 10th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Goal: Ola's Opener - Massive Report - May 10th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Finale Has 'Amazing Cliffhanger' Before 'Spectacular' Season 14 - Moviefone - May 10th, 2017
- Two companies work to demystify surgical procedures and anatomy ... - MobiHealthNews - May 10th, 2017
- IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo - SaharaReporters.com - May 10th, 2017
- Edmonton Oilers: The Anatomy of Mark Letestu - Oil On Whyte - May 10th, 2017
- State Anatomy Board overwhelmed with unclaimed bodies - WBAL Baltimore - May 9th, 2017
- The Anatomy Of Courage | HuffPost - Huffington post (press release) (blog) - May 9th, 2017
- Macron Leaks: the anatomy of a hack - BBC News - BBC News - May 9th, 2017
- The anatomy of cardamom - Huffington post (press release) (blog) - May 9th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Season 13 Episode 23 Promo: Stephanie Takes a Fatal Fall? - Wetpaint - May 9th, 2017
- Special Report Preview: Anatomy of a Rape - WILX-TV - May 8th, 2017
- The Anatomy Of Change Argentina's Macri Undoing Years Of Damage - Frontera News - May 8th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Budget Breakdown - The Exponent Telegram (press release) (registration) - May 8th, 2017
- Laura Caldwell and Antione Day on Anatomy of Innocence: Testimonies of the Wrongfully Convicted - WGN Radio - May 8th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Photo Preview: Mer, Riggs, and a Kid Makes Three - TV Fanatic - May 8th, 2017
- Anatomy of a tragedy: Police say boy with BB gun fatally shot by officers at high school - Los Angeles Times - May 7th, 2017
- "Chapter Twelve: Anatomy Of A Murder" - A.V. Club - May 7th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Stephanie Steps Up and Meredith Moves On - Cosmopolitan.com - May 6th, 2017
- Sexiest Female Doctors of 'Grey's Anatomy' (PHOTOS) - Wetpaint - May 6th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Star Will Head Cast of Bay Street's Intimate Apparel ... - Playbill.com - May 6th, 2017
- Riverdale Season 1, Episode 12 Recap: "Anatomy Of A Murder" - Refinery29 - May 6th, 2017
Recommendation and review posted by Guinevere Smith