I am pleased to announce an exhibition showcasing the collection of friend-of-Morbid Anatomy Richard Harris–one of the foremost collectors of all things death related–on view through July 8 at the Chicago Cultural Center. This looks to me amazing; full info follows, from the press release:
Chicago Cultural Center Brings Death To Life In Unprecedented New Exhibition
Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection
January 28 – July 8, 2012
Exhibit Explores the Iconography of Death, Showcases Nearly 1,000 Works From Richard Harris’ Collection – by Rembrandt, Mapplethorpe, Du?rer, Goya, Jasper Johns and Many Other Notable Artists
CHICAGO (November 2, 2011) – A deadly obsession takes hold of the Chicago Cultural Center this winter when one of its largest exhibitions to date, Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection, opens Saturday, January 28, 2012.
Presented by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events in partnership with the Chicago Office of Tourism and Culture, Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection showcases the wild and wonderfully eclectic selection of nearly 1,000 works of fine art, artifacts, massive installations and decorative objects, including creations by many of the greatest artists of our time, that explore the iconography of death across a variety of artistic, cultural and spiritual practices from 2000 B.C.E. to the present day.
Richard Harris, a resident of Riverwoods, Ill. who has been an art collector for 40 years, has gathered his provocative collection from all corners of the world to share with Chicago. Morbid Curiosity will fill two exhibition spaces, the 4th floor Exhibit Hall and Sidney R. Yates Gallery, at the Chicago Cultural Center, 78 E. Washington St., and will run through Sunday, July 8, 2012.
“We are all born to die. The questions that fascinate me are how we will die, where will we die and when will we die,” said Richard Harris. “At the age of 74, I believe it is incumbent upon me to make my collection a paean to death in all its many visages.”
The two major components of this exhibition are the “War Room,” highlighting the atrocities of war in notable works from the 17th century to present day in the 4th floor Exhibit Hall; and the “Kunstkammer of Death,” a modern-day “cabinet of curiosities” housed in the Sidney R. Yates Gallery, featuring a wide-ranging survey of mortality across cultures and spiritual traditions. The centerpiece of the “War Room” is Mr. Harris’ rare collection of five great war series, featuring prints by Jacques Callot, Francisco Goya, Otto Dix, the Chapman Brothers and Sandow Birk, which he has acquired over the past 30 years. This exhibition marks the first time that all five series will be exhibited together in their entirety.
“The scope, quality and diversity of Mr. Harris’ collection is unprecedented,” said Michelle T. Boone, Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events. “Morbid Curiosity will fill two gallery spaces on the 4th floor to cover a total of 14,000 sq. ft. during its six-month run, making it one of our largest and longest-running exhibitions to date.” “We look forward to hosting an exciting array of music, theater and art programming in conjunction with the exhibition, further engaging the public in a conversation about difficult themes that continue to fascinate humankind,” added Commissioner Boone.
Mr. Harris presents his rare collection of five great war series, arguably the most remarkable interpretations of war in art, evoking the ongoing cycle of human cruelty and destruction over centuries. Chronologically, the first of the series features Jacques Callot’s 17th century Miseries of War prints, followed by Francisco Goya’s extraordinary 18th century Disasters of War. The two masterpieces of the 20th century include Otto Dix’s Der Kreig and Jake and Dinos Chapman’s Disasters of War, both of which are heavily influenced by Goya. Completing the series is the 21st century The Depravities of War by Sandow Birk featuring massive woodblock prints depicting the Iraq war.
“Kunstkammer of Death”
The Italianate Sidney R. Yates Gallery will have its own distinct flavor within the exhibition as it is transformed into the style of a 17th century “Kunstkammer of Death.” (“Kunstkammer” is the precursor of the Public Museum as we know of them today. One of the greatest examples of a Kunstkammer was established by Peter the Great in Russia in 1727. Peter’s museum was a “cabinet of curiosities” dedicated to preserving natural and human curiosities and artistic rarities from across the globe as a means of acquiring a comprehensive knowledge of the world.) Featured in the “Kunstkammer of Death” will be works that explore death in all aspects from the spiritual to the scientific. Incredible works by such artists as Laurie Lipton, Chicago artist Marcos Raya and the Argentinean collective, Mondongo, bring to life the Mexican Holiday, Day of the Dead. Additionally, the gallery will be filled with a vast assortment of artistic styles and genres including the Dance of Death, a late-medieval allegory on the universality of death and Vanitas, a type of art that employs symbolic elements, such as hourglasses, rotting fruit and skulls, to signify the brevity of life.
Additional highlights of Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection include:
- Works by notable artists including Rembrandt, Albrecht Du?rer, Hans Bellmer, Odilon Redon, Pavel Tchelitchew, James Ensor, Jasper Johns and Robert Mapplethorpe.
- Breathtaking 13 ft. high chandelier made of 3,000 handcrafted plaster bones by contemporary British artist Jodie Carey. The piece directly engages the viewer with the irony or contradictions implicit in the decay/beauty aesthetic.
- Visually stunning large-scale installation, “Tribute,” from Guerra de la Paz entirely built from colorful used clothing that commemorates the Holocaust.
- Specimens, medical charts and ephemera.
- Work by contemporary artists such as Andres Serrano, Vik Muniz and Hugo Crosthwaite, including his commissioned 10 x 25 ft. site-specific mural, “Death March,”among others.
- Ethnographic artifacts and art from other cultures, particularly Tibet, Mexico, Africa and New Guinea.
“Ironically, the object that best personifies my own curiosity towards the subject of death can be seen in a 1927 photograph that is probably the least expensive object in the collection, costing me $5,” said Mr. Harris. “It is a photograph of a woman named Phebe Clijde surrounded by friends in the backyard of Phebe’s home in the suburbs of San Diego. In this neighborly scene, Phebe is holding a human skull. ‘What could she be thinking? Who’s skull is this? How did the person die?’ are some of the questions that ignite Phebe’s and my curiosity.”
Richard Harris has been collecting for more than 40 years. Previous shows that have exhibited his works are The Slought Foundation, Philadelphia, Pa., Strictly Death (Jan. 23 – Mar. 13, 2010); The Figge Art Museum, Davenport, Iowa, Dancing Towards Death (Sept, 18, 2010 – Jan. 9, 2011); and Loyola University Museum of Art (LUMA), Chicago, The Richard Harris Collection: Balint Zsako Collages (Feb. 3 – May 1, 2011).
Images: The Chicago Tribune
- Human Body Maps | 3D Models of the Human Anatomy - July 8th, 2016
- Anatomy - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - July 8th, 2016
- Islamic Culture and the Medical Arts: Anatomy - July 8th, 2016
- Anatomy Synonyms, Anatomy Antonyms | Thesaurus.com - July 8th, 2016
- ANATOMY - Medical Mnemonics .com - July 8th, 2016
- Anatomy - ScienceDaily - July 8th, 2016
- Digestive System | Everything You Need to Know, Including ... - July 8th, 2016
- Anatomy Books | Medical Books | US Elsevier Health Bookshop - July 8th, 2016
- ZygoteBody :: Welcome - July 8th, 2016
- Khan Academy: Human anatomy and physiology - July 8th, 2016
- Muscular System - Muscles of the Human Body - September 23rd, 2015
- Anatomie (2000) - IMDb - August 23rd, 2015
- Anatomy | Article about Anatomy by The Free Dictionary - August 23rd, 2015
- Skeletal System Labeled Diagrams of the Human Skeleton - August 23rd, 2015
- Anatomy | definition of anatomy by Medical dictionary - August 23rd, 2015
- Anatomy - Tips & Advice for Studying - About.com Education - August 23rd, 2015
- Anatomy & Physiology | Open Learning Initiative - August 23rd, 2015
- Human Anatomy at EnchantedLearning.com - August 23rd, 2015
- Anatomy and Physiology - August 23rd, 2015
- Anatomy - University of Mississippi Medical Center - August 23rd, 2015
- Anatomy - SpineUniverse - August 23rd, 2015
- Anatomy - New World Encyclopedia - August 14th, 2015
- Anatomy | Define Anatomy at Dictionary.com - July 23rd, 2015
- Human body - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - July 23rd, 2015
- Digital Anatomist Interactive Atlases - July 4th, 2015
- anatomy | biology | Britannica.com - July 2nd, 2015
- Anatomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 22nd, 2015
- Grey's Anatomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 20th, 2015
- The Anatomy Coloring Book: 9780321832016: Medicine ... - May 20th, 2015
- Morbid Anatomy - May 20th, 2015
- ABC TV Shows, Specials & Movies - ABC.com - May 20th, 2015
- Ex Machina (Oscar Isaac) Review | Anatomy of a Movie - Video - May 5th, 2015
- Derek Shepherd is Dead Reaction / Grey's Anatomy - Video - May 5th, 2015
- Ear anatomy - animation - Video - May 5th, 2015
- Greys Anatomy 11x22 11x23 Full Episode Part 22 Shes Leaving Home - Video - May 4th, 2015
- anatomy sec 5 faculty of dentistry KFS unvirsty( dontika team) - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Ustav -2015 Anatomy (Vijay Vicky Amin) - Video - May 4th, 2015
- 6 Baltimore officers charged Anatomy of a homicide - Latest WORLD News May,02/2015 - Video - May 4th, 2015
- The external gross anatomy of the kidney - Video - May 4th, 2015
- [Grey's Anatomy] Meredith/Derek - "Red" - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Meredith is wearing Derek's scrub cap - Grey's Anatomy - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Friday Night Live: Anatomy Intensives, With Erik Gist - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Turtle - Female Internal Anatomy - Video - May 2nd, 2015
- 9.7 The LIGHTHOUSE: Anatomy of an Orliks, Vol. 1 - Video - May 2nd, 2015
- Patrick Dempsey on McDreamy's Shocking Grey's Anatomy Death: I'm Still Processing It - Video - May 2nd, 2015
- 'Grey's Anatomy':Season 11 Has Been Its Most Depressing Yet - Video - May 2nd, 2015
- 'Far From the Madding Crowd' Movie | Anatomy of a Scene w/ Director Thomas Vinterberg - Video - May 2nd, 2015
- DSIG TUT - Anatomy of large intestine and rectum - Video - May 1st, 2015
- GREY'S ANATOMY Sneak Peek 11x22 "She's Leaving Home" (2) - Video - May 1st, 2015
- Promo - Greys Anatomy 11.22 - Shes Leaving Home - Video - April 29th, 2015
- GREY'S ANATOMY Sneak Peek 11x22 "She's Leaving Home" (1) - Video - April 29th, 2015
- Air Force One (1997) | ACTION MOVIE ANATOMY - Video - April 29th, 2015
- meredith and derek grey's anatomy their story seasons 1-11 (new updated version) - Video - April 29th, 2015
- 3D Anatomy for Massage & Manual Therapies - Video - April 29th, 2015
- Patrick Dempsey Opens Up About Surprising Exit From 'Grey's Anatomy' - Video - April 29th, 2015
- AirAsia 8501: Anatomy of a Crash - Sneak Peek - Video - April 29th, 2015
- essential anatomy 5 - Video - April 29th, 2015
- Greys Anatomy Sneak Peek 11.22 - Shes Leaving Home (1) - Video - April 29th, 2015
- Ellen Pompeo Speaks Out on Patrick Dempsey's 'Greys Anatomy' Exit - Video - April 29th, 2015
- Medieval Engineers The Anatomy of a Castle (Episode 2) - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Grey's Anatomy 11x21 Little Girl & Derek Meet in ER Full Episode Part 11 [How to Save a Life] - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Tribute to Derek Shepherd, mcdreamy 'Grey's Anatomy' - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Greys Anatomy Shockingly Kills Off a Major Character - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Derek's Death - Grey's Anatomy - Video - April 26th, 2015
- A reaction/analysis/review of Grey's Anatomy ep 21 and why it was horrible - April 2015 - Video - April 26th, 2015
- 50 Shades of Greys Anatomy - Bute Revue 2015 - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Adult Beginners Starring Nick Kroll | Anatomy of a Scene | The New York Times - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Spoiler alert: Shocking Greys Anatomy episode! - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Greys Anatomy 11x09 Arizona Feed Up w Nicole She Cries in Ladies Room Where Do We Go From Here - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Othello's Anatomy Trailer - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Gross Anatomy of Spleen - Video - April 26th, 2015
- anatomy lab final 2 - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Grey's Anatomy: RIP McDreamy | Reaction Video - Video - April 26th, 2015
- anatomy Bio 204 cat dissection & identification video 4-2-14 - Video - April 25th, 2015
- PATRICK DEMPSEY KILLED OFF GREY'S ANATOMY! RIP MCDREAMY! - Video - April 25th, 2015
- Child 44 Review (Tom Hardy / Gary Oldman) | Anatomy of a Movie - Video - April 25th, 2015
- Greys Anatomy 11x21 Ambulance and Help Arrive Full Episode Part 8 How to Save a Life - Video - April 25th, 2015
- Greys Anatomy 11x21 Derek Brought to ER Full Episode Part 10 How to Save a Life - Video - April 25th, 2015
- Greys Anatomy 11x19 All Callie Scenes Part 2 Crazy Love - Video - April 25th, 2015
- McDreamy Killed Off Greys Anatomy, or Is It One Big McDream? - Video - April 25th, 2015
Recommendation and review posted by Guinevere Smith