I am pleased to announce an exhibition showcasing the collection of friend-of-Morbid Anatomy Richard Harris–one of the foremost collectors of all things death related–on view through July 8 at the Chicago Cultural Center. This looks to me amazing; full info follows, from the press release:
Chicago Cultural Center Brings Death To Life In Unprecedented New Exhibition
Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection
January 28 – July 8, 2012
Exhibit Explores the Iconography of Death, Showcases Nearly 1,000 Works From Richard Harris’ Collection – by Rembrandt, Mapplethorpe, Du?rer, Goya, Jasper Johns and Many Other Notable Artists
CHICAGO (November 2, 2011) – A deadly obsession takes hold of the Chicago Cultural Center this winter when one of its largest exhibitions to date, Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection, opens Saturday, January 28, 2012.
Presented by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events in partnership with the Chicago Office of Tourism and Culture, Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection showcases the wild and wonderfully eclectic selection of nearly 1,000 works of fine art, artifacts, massive installations and decorative objects, including creations by many of the greatest artists of our time, that explore the iconography of death across a variety of artistic, cultural and spiritual practices from 2000 B.C.E. to the present day.
Richard Harris, a resident of Riverwoods, Ill. who has been an art collector for 40 years, has gathered his provocative collection from all corners of the world to share with Chicago. Morbid Curiosity will fill two exhibition spaces, the 4th floor Exhibit Hall and Sidney R. Yates Gallery, at the Chicago Cultural Center, 78 E. Washington St., and will run through Sunday, July 8, 2012.
“We are all born to die. The questions that fascinate me are how we will die, where will we die and when will we die,” said Richard Harris. “At the age of 74, I believe it is incumbent upon me to make my collection a paean to death in all its many visages.”
The two major components of this exhibition are the “War Room,” highlighting the atrocities of war in notable works from the 17th century to present day in the 4th floor Exhibit Hall; and the “Kunstkammer of Death,” a modern-day “cabinet of curiosities” housed in the Sidney R. Yates Gallery, featuring a wide-ranging survey of mortality across cultures and spiritual traditions. The centerpiece of the “War Room” is Mr. Harris’ rare collection of five great war series, featuring prints by Jacques Callot, Francisco Goya, Otto Dix, the Chapman Brothers and Sandow Birk, which he has acquired over the past 30 years. This exhibition marks the first time that all five series will be exhibited together in their entirety.
“The scope, quality and diversity of Mr. Harris’ collection is unprecedented,” said Michelle T. Boone, Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events. “Morbid Curiosity will fill two gallery spaces on the 4th floor to cover a total of 14,000 sq. ft. during its six-month run, making it one of our largest and longest-running exhibitions to date.” “We look forward to hosting an exciting array of music, theater and art programming in conjunction with the exhibition, further engaging the public in a conversation about difficult themes that continue to fascinate humankind,” added Commissioner Boone.
Mr. Harris presents his rare collection of five great war series, arguably the most remarkable interpretations of war in art, evoking the ongoing cycle of human cruelty and destruction over centuries. Chronologically, the first of the series features Jacques Callot’s 17th century Miseries of War prints, followed by Francisco Goya’s extraordinary 18th century Disasters of War. The two masterpieces of the 20th century include Otto Dix’s Der Kreig and Jake and Dinos Chapman’s Disasters of War, both of which are heavily influenced by Goya. Completing the series is the 21st century The Depravities of War by Sandow Birk featuring massive woodblock prints depicting the Iraq war.
“Kunstkammer of Death”
The Italianate Sidney R. Yates Gallery will have its own distinct flavor within the exhibition as it is transformed into the style of a 17th century “Kunstkammer of Death.” (“Kunstkammer” is the precursor of the Public Museum as we know of them today. One of the greatest examples of a Kunstkammer was established by Peter the Great in Russia in 1727. Peter’s museum was a “cabinet of curiosities” dedicated to preserving natural and human curiosities and artistic rarities from across the globe as a means of acquiring a comprehensive knowledge of the world.) Featured in the “Kunstkammer of Death” will be works that explore death in all aspects from the spiritual to the scientific. Incredible works by such artists as Laurie Lipton, Chicago artist Marcos Raya and the Argentinean collective, Mondongo, bring to life the Mexican Holiday, Day of the Dead. Additionally, the gallery will be filled with a vast assortment of artistic styles and genres including the Dance of Death, a late-medieval allegory on the universality of death and Vanitas, a type of art that employs symbolic elements, such as hourglasses, rotting fruit and skulls, to signify the brevity of life.
Additional highlights of Morbid Curiosity: The Richard Harris Collection include:
- Works by notable artists including Rembrandt, Albrecht Du?rer, Hans Bellmer, Odilon Redon, Pavel Tchelitchew, James Ensor, Jasper Johns and Robert Mapplethorpe.
- Breathtaking 13 ft. high chandelier made of 3,000 handcrafted plaster bones by contemporary British artist Jodie Carey. The piece directly engages the viewer with the irony or contradictions implicit in the decay/beauty aesthetic.
- Visually stunning large-scale installation, “Tribute,” from Guerra de la Paz entirely built from colorful used clothing that commemorates the Holocaust.
- Specimens, medical charts and ephemera.
- Work by contemporary artists such as Andres Serrano, Vik Muniz and Hugo Crosthwaite, including his commissioned 10 x 25 ft. site-specific mural, “Death March,”among others.
- Ethnographic artifacts and art from other cultures, particularly Tibet, Mexico, Africa and New Guinea.
“Ironically, the object that best personifies my own curiosity towards the subject of death can be seen in a 1927 photograph that is probably the least expensive object in the collection, costing me $5,” said Mr. Harris. “It is a photograph of a woman named Phebe Clijde surrounded by friends in the backyard of Phebe’s home in the suburbs of San Diego. In this neighborly scene, Phebe is holding a human skull. ‘What could she be thinking? Who’s skull is this? How did the person die?’ are some of the questions that ignite Phebe’s and my curiosity.”
Richard Harris has been collecting for more than 40 years. Previous shows that have exhibited his works are The Slought Foundation, Philadelphia, Pa., Strictly Death (Jan. 23 – Mar. 13, 2010); The Figge Art Museum, Davenport, Iowa, Dancing Towards Death (Sept, 18, 2010 – Jan. 9, 2011); and Loyola University Museum of Art (LUMA), Chicago, The Richard Harris Collection: Balint Zsako Collages (Feb. 3 – May 1, 2011).
Images: The Chicago Tribune
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: A Can of Worms - Vulture - April 28th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy recap: 'Don't Stop Me Now' - EW.com - April 28th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Almost Had a Totally Different (and Really Bad) Title - Glamour - April 28th, 2017
- 'Riverdale' 1.12 'Anatomy Of A Murder' Trailer - Heroic Hollywood (blog) - April 28th, 2017
- Anatomy Of A Growing Threat: North Korea's Evolving Brinkmanship - Fox News - April 28th, 2017
- Seth Smith hits 'Little League home run' against the Rays (0:58) - ESPN (blog) - April 27th, 2017
- Anatomy Of A Fake News Story: The Muslim Politician And The Anzac Day "Disgrace" - BuzzFeed News - April 27th, 2017
- Freedom Day: An anatomy of privilege - News24 - April 27th, 2017
- IPL 2017: The anatomy of a wide in T20; the angle, length and breadth of it - The Indian Express - April 27th, 2017
- Jesse Williams' Divorce: The Grey's Anatomy Star and Wife Clashed over Living in L.A., Says Source - PEOPLE.com - April 25th, 2017
- Using antique wax figures to learn about anatomy - Scope (blog) - April 25th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Season 13 Sneak Peek: Maggie Learns the Truth ... - Wetpaint - April 25th, 2017
- Anatomy of a goal: Breaking down the Seattle Sounders' second tally against the LA Galaxy - SoundersFC.com - April 25th, 2017
- 'Riverdale' 1.12 'Anatomy Of A Murder' Images Released - Heroic Hollywood (blog) - April 25th, 2017
- How the 7 Train Makes Subway Riders Into New Yorkers - CityLab - April 25th, 2017
- Casting announced for Anatomy of a Suicide at Royal Court, London - The Stage - April 24th, 2017
- Scoop: GREY'S ANATOMY on ABC - Thursday, May 11, 2017 - Broadway World - April 24th, 2017
- Whiteout: Anatomy of a ski death - Steamboat Pilot & Today - April 24th, 2017
- An anatomy of a killing - Arkansas Online - April 23rd, 2017
- 11 memories from when the whole country was obsessed with Grey's Anatomy - DailyEdge.ie - April 23rd, 2017
- Anatomy of Turkish referendum stamp controversy - TRT World - April 22nd, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Stars TR Knight, Kate Walsh Reunite: Photo! - Us Weekly - April 22nd, 2017
- Michelangelo's Medici Chapel may contain hidden symbols of female anatomy - Science Daily - April 22nd, 2017
- Anatomy of a Sarin Bomb Explosion (Part II) - bellingcat - April 21st, 2017
- Is 'Grey's Anatomy' on Tonight, April 20th? - Heavy.com - April 21st, 2017
- UHS Anatomy Dept named after Prof Tahir - The Nation - April 21st, 2017
- 'Filled with hate, filled with anger': Anatomy of a shooting allegedly fueled by hatred of white people - Los Angeles Times - April 20th, 2017
- From Anatomy to 3D Printing: Art Inspires Life - American Council on Science and Health - April 20th, 2017
- New edition of Gray's Anatomy released - The Hindu - April 20th, 2017
- The unmistakable anatomy of a President Trump flip-flop - Chicago Tribune - April 20th, 2017
- Aspen Princess: Anatomy of a meltdown - Aspen Times - April 20th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy: Every Reason We Have to Believe Cristina Will Return - POPSUGAR - April 20th, 2017
- Anatomy of a winning streak: How the Yankees have become MLB's hottest team - CBSSports.com - April 20th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Scandal' Producer Doubles Down on Progressivism - NewsBusters (blog) - April 17th, 2017
- 'Anatomy of Gray' puts 'interesting twist' on Midwestern small town - Portland Tribune - April 17th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Goal: Ola Kamara's Equalizer - Massive Report - April 17th, 2017
- The iPhone Is a Part of Human Anatomy - NYU Washington Square News - April 17th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Lynching - New York Times - April 16th, 2017
- Aspiring docs from HCI win big at Anatomy Challenge - The Straits Times - April 16th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' and 'Chicago Med' adjust up, 'Scandal' adjusts ... - TVbytheNumbers - April 15th, 2017
- Eden Hazard and Jos Mourinho: anatomy of a rollercoaster relationship - The Guardian - April 14th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Experiencing Some Turbulence - Vulture - April 14th, 2017
- *13 Reasons Why* and *Grey's Anatomy* Collide in This Bonkers Theory About Clay Jensen - Glamour - April 14th, 2017
- TV Ratings Thursday: 'Grey's Anatomy' stays low, 'The Blacklist: Redemption' ticks up - TVbytheNumbers - April 14th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Fans' Sex Theory About the Show's Newest Couple Will Disturb You: Read the Tweets! - Us Weekly - April 14th, 2017
- Complex Vascular Anatomy Problematic for Carotid Artery Stenting - MedPage Today - April 14th, 2017
- TJC to host Human Anatomy & Physiology Society regional conference - Tyler Morning Telegraph - April 14th, 2017
- Sioux Falls makes cameo on 'Grey's Anatomy' - Sioux Falls Argus Leader - April 14th, 2017
- Whiteout, Part 2: The anatomy of a Colorado ski death | SummitDaily ... - Summit Daily News - April 13th, 2017
- TV tonight: 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Blacklist: Redemption' finale - USA TODAY - April 13th, 2017
- '13 Reasons Why' and 'Grey's Anatomy' Are Connected in This Fan Theory - TeenVogue.com - April 13th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Camilla Luddington Welcomes Daughter - BuddyTV (blog) - April 13th, 2017
- US claims of Syria nerve gas attack: The anatomy of a lie - World Socialist Web Site - April 13th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Star Camilla Luddington Gives Birth to a Baby Girl ... - E! Online - April 12th, 2017
- Mayor's attorney: Murray's anatomy disproves sex abuse claim - seattlepi.com - April 12th, 2017
- Anatomy of the Steelers drafts: Daniel McCullers - Steel City Underground (blog) - April 12th, 2017
- Greys Anatomy Season 13 Episode 20 Spoilers In the Air Tonight Features In-Flight Emergency Meredith Riggs Forced ... - EconoTimes - April 12th, 2017
- Ruby's heart condition not an episode of Grey's Anatomy - Krugersdorp News - April 12th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Goal: Nemanja Nikolic's Game Winner - Massive Report - April 11th, 2017
- Program to focus on lung anatomy and basic medication - Newton Daily News - April 11th, 2017
- 'My Daughter Suffers From Cyclical Vomiting SyndromeHere's What That Means' - Women's Health - April 11th, 2017
- Scoop: GREY'S ANATOMY on ABC - Thursday, April 27, 2017 - Broadway World - April 10th, 2017
- '13 Reasons Why': Kate Walsh & Dylan Minnette's Other TV Connection Will Blow Your Mind - Hollywood Life - April 10th, 2017
- Ellen Pompeo: 'Grey's Anatomy' Will End When I'm Ready to Stop - TVInsider - April 9th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy boss Shonda Rhimes says season finale is 'on fire' - EW.com (blog) - April 9th, 2017
- TV Ratings Thursday: 'Grey's Anatomy' slips, 'Mom' and 'Life in Pieces' rise - TVbytheNumbers - April 9th, 2017
- REVIEW | 'A GAMBLER'S ANATOMY' - The Gazette: Eastern Iowa Breaking News and Headlines - April 8th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Good Grief - Vulture - April 8th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Play: The Day Bryce Petty Almost Died - The Phinsider - April 8th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Whacking: Learn To Milk Unbearable Tension With This Godfather Script-to-Screen Breakdown (Video) - MovieMaker Magazine - April 8th, 2017
- Shonda Rhimes, creator of 'Grey's Anatomy' and 'Scandal', joins Planned Parenthood board - Washington Post - April 7th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy recap: 'What's Inside' - EW.com - April 7th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Dr. Isaac Cross Has Diverticulitis, But What the ... - Yahoo TV (blog) - April 7th, 2017
- Adkins admits emailing photos of male anatomy | Local News | The ... - The News (subscription) - April 5th, 2017
- Authors, Exonerees Collaborate in New Book 'Anatomy of Innocence' - Chicago Tonight | WTTW - April 5th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Sneak Peek: Maggie Is Paralyzed - Yahoo TV (blog) - April 5th, 2017
- Greys Anatomy Season 13 Episode 19 Spoilers Whats Inside Maggie Tackles Big Case Faces Insecurities Stephanie ... - EconoTimes - April 5th, 2017
- Culture, Science & Faith Anatomy of a Smear Piece - Patriot Post - April 5th, 2017
- Chapter 2: Anatomy of the Eye - TimRoot.com - April 4th, 2017
- Michelangelo's Medici Chapel may contain hidden symbols of ... - Phys.Org - April 4th, 2017
Recommendation and review posted by Guinevere Smith