Barely two years after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahus government was formed, all the papers can talk about on Sunday morning is its apparently imminent demise. A coalition crisis is in full swing, sending Israels preeminent pundits scrambling to find people to blame and issues to make the center of the agenda. With all the attention going to the possibility of fresh elections, relatively little attention is given to the Israeli airstrike on Syria early Friday morning and the rocket fire rupturing southern Israels weekend calm.
To virtually nobodys surprise, the free daily Israel Hayom is sympathetic to Netanyahu, explaining his position on its front page that the existing public broadcaster would cost less than the proposed new one set to be rolled out. What do we need it for? Netanyahu is quoted in the papers headline, setting the tone of the rest of the article. It quotes senior Likud official Yariv Levin saying that with 30 seats, the ruling party can stick to its guns despite pressure from its coalition allies.
The paper exhibits the most balanced manner of reporting by quoting Likud ministers throughout the first five paragraphs of its main report, only getting around to the Kulanu partys counterpoint in paragraph six.
What others perceive as the premiers paranoia is what Mati Tuchfeld calls political sensors on maximum sensitivity, and when Netanyahu detects sparks of non-compliance by one of the coalition partners, he projects [the message] that the master of the house is willing to go all-in, come what may.
Its not just the broadcaster and its not just Kahlon, he writes, arguing that this whole crisis was a brilliant masterstroke by Netanyahu to keep his coalition partners in line. Its also [Jewish Home party leader] Naftali Bennett, who just a couple of days ago said that Netanyahu has neglected religious Zionism. Its also Liberman, who though he appears Netanyahus most trusted partner, nonetheless his comments about closing the yeshiva in [the West Bank settlement of] Eli sent the prime minister down a dead end.
If Israel Hayom takes the defensive stance in Netanyahus favor, Yedioth Ahronoth comes out swinging against the prime minister. It dispenses with any semblance of reportage in the opening pages, leading instead with that fearsome duo of twin op-eds by mainstay pundits Nahum Barnea and Sima Kadmon.
Like Margaret Thatcher and Tony Blair, Netanyahu has solidified his grip on his party in his fourth term in office but is cursed to self-destruct, Barnea expounds. The economy is strong, the country is secure, Likud is joined by right wing parties in ruling the country, and hes welcomed in Moscow, Beijing and Washington with open arms, Barnea says.
Crises like thse are born on WhatsApp and die on WhatsApp, he says. All it needs is intervention by the prime minister. Netanyahus sudden interest in the fates of Israel Broadcasting Authority workers is the most baseless crisis, Barnea says.
Netanyahu was the one who passed the bill through the Knesset to disband the corrupt, bloated and unnecessary IBA that had been under his wing for years. Kahlon stands against him not because the public broadcaster is dear to his heart or pocket, but because theres a limit to his willingness to be a mop.
Kadmon likewise calls out Netanyahu for flipflopping on the public broadcasting corporation issue, but says that the broadcaster isnt the real issue at hand at all. She charges that its his wife, Sara Netanyahu, calling the shots because of a personal dislike of certain journalists hired by the new broadcaster. Its clear to everyone close to the prime minister that something is going on when Netanyahu is susceptible to the influence of his relatives.
Ladies and gentlemen, wake up. This is your prime minister. The man making a list of critical decisions, like which response we should take against Gaza, or what to do about Irans power in Syria. Is this the man you would let make fateful decisions? Wait, would you buy a car from this man?
Haaretzs Chemi Shalev compares Netanyahu to Titus. For destroying Jerusalem? No, because Netanyahu also has a mosquito buzzing in his head driving him crazy in the form of the media, he writes. Netanyahu will found and ruin coalitions until he silences the irritating journalists, he charges.
Some analysts connect the flipflop that Netanyahu did over the weekend to his relatives waverings, he writes. Others are certain that its an initiative aimed at somehow saving him from an approaching indictment. There are still others who say that Netanyahu is simply puffing out his chest with Moshe Kahlon specifically, and his coalition partners in general, to bring them back into line, with no real intention to go to the polls.
All these things are right, he says, but they miss the point: Netanyahus treatment of the press is irrational and its eating him up inside.
Read the original:
Anatomy of a crisis – The Times of Israel
- Jesse Williams' Divorce: The Grey's Anatomy Star and Wife Clashed over Living in L.A., Says Source - PEOPLE.com - April 25th, 2017
- Using antique wax figures to learn about anatomy - Scope (blog) - April 25th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Season 13 Sneak Peek: Maggie Learns the Truth ... - Wetpaint - April 25th, 2017
- Anatomy of a goal: Breaking down the Seattle Sounders' second tally against the LA Galaxy - SoundersFC.com - April 25th, 2017
- 'Riverdale' 1.12 'Anatomy Of A Murder' Images Released - Heroic Hollywood (blog) - April 25th, 2017
- How the 7 Train Makes Subway Riders Into New Yorkers - CityLab - April 25th, 2017
- Casting announced for Anatomy of a Suicide at Royal Court, London - The Stage - April 24th, 2017
- Scoop: GREY'S ANATOMY on ABC - Thursday, May 11, 2017 - Broadway World - April 24th, 2017
- Whiteout: Anatomy of a ski death - Steamboat Pilot & Today - April 24th, 2017
- An anatomy of a killing - Arkansas Online - April 23rd, 2017
- 11 memories from when the whole country was obsessed with Grey's Anatomy - DailyEdge.ie - April 23rd, 2017
- Anatomy of Turkish referendum stamp controversy - TRT World - April 22nd, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Stars TR Knight, Kate Walsh Reunite: Photo! - Us Weekly - April 22nd, 2017
- Michelangelo's Medici Chapel may contain hidden symbols of female anatomy - Science Daily - April 22nd, 2017
- Anatomy of a Sarin Bomb Explosion (Part II) - bellingcat - April 21st, 2017
- Is 'Grey's Anatomy' on Tonight, April 20th? - Heavy.com - April 21st, 2017
- UHS Anatomy Dept named after Prof Tahir - The Nation - April 21st, 2017
- 'Filled with hate, filled with anger': Anatomy of a shooting allegedly fueled by hatred of white people - Los Angeles Times - April 20th, 2017
- From Anatomy to 3D Printing: Art Inspires Life - American Council on Science and Health - April 20th, 2017
- New edition of Gray's Anatomy released - The Hindu - April 20th, 2017
- The unmistakable anatomy of a President Trump flip-flop - Chicago Tribune - April 20th, 2017
- Aspen Princess: Anatomy of a meltdown - Aspen Times - April 20th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy: Every Reason We Have to Believe Cristina Will Return - POPSUGAR - April 20th, 2017
- Anatomy of a winning streak: How the Yankees have become MLB's hottest team - CBSSports.com - April 20th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Scandal' Producer Doubles Down on Progressivism - NewsBusters (blog) - April 17th, 2017
- 'Anatomy of Gray' puts 'interesting twist' on Midwestern small town - Portland Tribune - April 17th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Goal: Ola Kamara's Equalizer - Massive Report - April 17th, 2017
- The iPhone Is a Part of Human Anatomy - NYU Washington Square News - April 17th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Lynching - New York Times - April 16th, 2017
- Aspiring docs from HCI win big at Anatomy Challenge - The Straits Times - April 16th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' and 'Chicago Med' adjust up, 'Scandal' adjusts ... - TVbytheNumbers - April 15th, 2017
- Eden Hazard and Jos Mourinho: anatomy of a rollercoaster relationship - The Guardian - April 14th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Experiencing Some Turbulence - Vulture - April 14th, 2017
- *13 Reasons Why* and *Grey's Anatomy* Collide in This Bonkers Theory About Clay Jensen - Glamour - April 14th, 2017
- TV Ratings Thursday: 'Grey's Anatomy' stays low, 'The Blacklist: Redemption' ticks up - TVbytheNumbers - April 14th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Fans' Sex Theory About the Show's Newest Couple Will Disturb You: Read the Tweets! - Us Weekly - April 14th, 2017
- Complex Vascular Anatomy Problematic for Carotid Artery Stenting - MedPage Today - April 14th, 2017
- TJC to host Human Anatomy & Physiology Society regional conference - Tyler Morning Telegraph - April 14th, 2017
- Sioux Falls makes cameo on 'Grey's Anatomy' - Sioux Falls Argus Leader - April 14th, 2017
- Whiteout, Part 2: The anatomy of a Colorado ski death | SummitDaily ... - Summit Daily News - April 13th, 2017
- TV tonight: 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Blacklist: Redemption' finale - USA TODAY - April 13th, 2017
- '13 Reasons Why' and 'Grey's Anatomy' Are Connected in This Fan Theory - TeenVogue.com - April 13th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Camilla Luddington Welcomes Daughter - BuddyTV (blog) - April 13th, 2017
- US claims of Syria nerve gas attack: The anatomy of a lie - World Socialist Web Site - April 13th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Star Camilla Luddington Gives Birth to a Baby Girl ... - E! Online - April 12th, 2017
- Mayor's attorney: Murray's anatomy disproves sex abuse claim - seattlepi.com - April 12th, 2017
- Anatomy of the Steelers drafts: Daniel McCullers - Steel City Underground (blog) - April 12th, 2017
- Greys Anatomy Season 13 Episode 20 Spoilers In the Air Tonight Features In-Flight Emergency Meredith Riggs Forced ... - EconoTimes - April 12th, 2017
- Ruby's heart condition not an episode of Grey's Anatomy - Krugersdorp News - April 12th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Goal: Nemanja Nikolic's Game Winner - Massive Report - April 11th, 2017
- Program to focus on lung anatomy and basic medication - Newton Daily News - April 11th, 2017
- 'My Daughter Suffers From Cyclical Vomiting SyndromeHere's What That Means' - Women's Health - April 11th, 2017
- Scoop: GREY'S ANATOMY on ABC - Thursday, April 27, 2017 - Broadway World - April 10th, 2017
- '13 Reasons Why': Kate Walsh & Dylan Minnette's Other TV Connection Will Blow Your Mind - Hollywood Life - April 10th, 2017
- Ellen Pompeo: 'Grey's Anatomy' Will End When I'm Ready to Stop - TVInsider - April 9th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy boss Shonda Rhimes says season finale is 'on fire' - EW.com (blog) - April 9th, 2017
- TV Ratings Thursday: 'Grey's Anatomy' slips, 'Mom' and 'Life in Pieces' rise - TVbytheNumbers - April 9th, 2017
- REVIEW | 'A GAMBLER'S ANATOMY' - The Gazette: Eastern Iowa Breaking News and Headlines - April 8th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy Recap: Good Grief - Vulture - April 8th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Play: The Day Bryce Petty Almost Died - The Phinsider - April 8th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Whacking: Learn To Milk Unbearable Tension With This Godfather Script-to-Screen Breakdown (Video) - MovieMaker Magazine - April 8th, 2017
- Shonda Rhimes, creator of 'Grey's Anatomy' and 'Scandal', joins Planned Parenthood board - Washington Post - April 7th, 2017
- Grey's Anatomy recap: 'What's Inside' - EW.com - April 7th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy': Dr. Isaac Cross Has Diverticulitis, But What the ... - Yahoo TV (blog) - April 7th, 2017
- Adkins admits emailing photos of male anatomy | Local News | The ... - The News (subscription) - April 5th, 2017
- Authors, Exonerees Collaborate in New Book 'Anatomy of Innocence' - Chicago Tonight | WTTW - April 5th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Sneak Peek: Maggie Is Paralyzed - Yahoo TV (blog) - April 5th, 2017
- Greys Anatomy Season 13 Episode 19 Spoilers Whats Inside Maggie Tackles Big Case Faces Insecurities Stephanie ... - EconoTimes - April 5th, 2017
- Culture, Science & Faith Anatomy of a Smear Piece - Patriot Post - April 5th, 2017
- Chapter 2: Anatomy of the Eye - TimRoot.com - April 4th, 2017
- Michelangelo's Medici Chapel may contain hidden symbols of ... - Phys.Org - April 4th, 2017
- The anatomy of a Street Fighter Eurogamer.net - Eurogamer.net - April 4th, 2017
- 16 Reasons Why 'Grey's Anatomy' Needs a Romance Between Two Men - Wetpaint - April 4th, 2017
- Anatomy of a fake scandal, ginned up by right-wing media and Trump - Washington Post (blog) - April 4th, 2017
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Star Kelly McCreary Discusses Filming Maggie's ... - BuddyTV (blog) - April 4th, 2017
- The Anatomy of a Good Leader - Huffington Post - April 4th, 2017
- Anatomy of a Goal: Justin Meram's Breakaway - Massive Report - April 4th, 2017
- '13 Reasons Why' Star Kate Walsh on Netflix Series, 'Grey's ... - Variety - Variety - April 1st, 2017
- Anatomy of an upset - CT Post - April 1st, 2017
- Ellen Pompeo on 'Grey's Anatomy' longevity and future: 'Why walk away from a hit?' - Chicago Tribune - April 1st, 2017
Recommendation and review posted by Guinevere Smith